Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day

I spent Memorial Day in Canada, where it wasn't Memorial Day, and I missed it.  I was busy socializing, so I didn't catch the annual video clip on TV of the President laying the wreath on the Tomb of the Unknowns, which to me, more than anything symbolizes Memorial Day.  I didn't see the roaring Thunder Birds Washington flyover, which to me, more than anything symbolizes American military superiority.  In the GNC, the many small towns produce parades on their Main Streets, led by Veterans stuffed into their decades old uniforms, followed by high school marching bands, which to me, more than anything, symbolizes the sacrifices made by individual families. Some veterans have given up trying to make their uniform's span their torsos -- they just wear their civvies and military hats -- but they are no less proud of their service, and the townspeople (including me) are no less proud of them.  Because I was in Montreal on Memorial Day, I didn't spectate the parade in my town which I have done every year since coming to the GNC in 2004. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed watching that parade with all the other local folk 'til I missed one.

Before I left for Canada, I hung my American flag over the deck rail so that everyone driving by would remember and reflect, if only for a moment.  When I returned from Canada this morning, I noticed the wind had blown the flag onto the deck where no one could see it.   It was as if my being in a foreign country was an insult and it wasn't going to display itself in my absence.  Appropriate, I thought, as I scooped it up, folded it with proper respect and vacuum-packed it in a Space Bag until July 4th. 

For lunch just ended,  I fired up the grill, ate corn-on-the-cob and apple pie.  It was good, but if I had eaten it on Memorial Day in the GNC, it would have tasted much better.







No comments:

Post a Comment