Friday, May 27, 2011

My mobile weather apps...

...were all over last night's Rolling Thunder performance.  They issued an alert to take the blue folding chairs off the front deck, showed the storm track in pretty, dynamic colors, pointed out that I had left the weed-whacker outside, and provided other technical information in case I wanted to go fishing as the storm peaked.  With map app, I zoomed in and out on the intensity bands and then added layers of landmarks.  Radar app showed a line of rough phenomena roughly from Phoenicia to West Kill, eight miles or so West of Hunter.  Bug app predicted the storm to pass over Rt 214 at 11:09p.  It was 11:09p (according to clock app) when it did.  The frequent lightening introduced more theatrics, metrics and statistics - the app reported the number of lightening strikes in real-time.  I was so busy, I didn't check the Earthquake app!


This is not an endorsement of smartphone technology, though I must say,  the same device was my flashlight during the short power outage, and I listened Beethoven on it  as the storm rattled and echoed through Stony Clove.  I realized this morning, when the atmosphere is more hospitable, that probably I shouldn't have been using it outdoors, twirling my key chain and listening to No.5 through wireless headphones.




PS - Happy Birthday to my brother Larry!

No comments:

Post a Comment