Friday, October 16, 2015

Form 5 of 5 Forms

Form 5 of 5 Forms

March 30: I returned to the Crushan-Clebach residence at 1 p.m. as agreed, to continue the interview began on March 18 that was truncated due to the circumstances explained in QF 905 Form Four. 

My knock was answered immediately by Patrick Crushan, who had changed from his Dickies overalls into a traditional dark-grey, three-piece suit.  Ms. Clebach was at her usual place at the table, but when the door opened wide enough for me to enter,  I could see a beautiful smile lightening her face, a tasteful application of rouge to her cheeks, lipstick to her lips and curls to her hair.  She stood up and –

“Would you mind driving us to Town Hall in Athens, NY – just down the road a few miles?        
I know the Town Justice there, and he has agreed to do the ceremony…”

I was stupefied!

“C’mon you Whippersnapper!” Fidelma said, “Get with the program!  This was your idea!”

They were getting married!  Fidelma’s dress was floor length, flowing, emerald green embroidered with flowers and birds in the most pleasant of peasant motifs.  Don’t all brides look beautiful?  Her wedding day preparations had overcome almost every aspect of her tobacco-poisoned body (her teeth were still deep yellow) and she and Patrick looked radiant.

The Crushan-Clebach case was ruining my schedule once again – and once again I was helpless to resist.  How could I not drive them to Town Hall? 

“Get in! Your chariot awaits!” I gestured toward my 2003 Subaru Outback, full of file folders, and opened the rear passenger door with a flourish, “If only I had known, I would have dressed for the occasion … What a beautiful dress that is!”  I said to Fidelma as she wriggled her way into the back seat.  Patrick followed – neither was smoking.  They noticed that I noticed.  “Town clerk called to remind us there’s no smokin’ at Town Hall.  ‘Spose we can do without for a while, while we say our vows.”

The short drive from Selkirk to Athens on Route 144 was not long enough to for me to regain my professional composure – I was personalizing, internalizing and otherwise violating all my ‘observe and report’ training.  When we stepped into Judge Blaisdell’s chambers, I learned I was to be best man, the town tax assessor Frances Whitbeck was to be the maid of honor, and both of us were to sign the marriage certificate and act as witnesses.  We took our positions in the chamber.

 “I do,” said Patrick Cruchan, son of an outlaw Westie.

“I do,” said Fidelma Clebach, daughter of who-knows-who of County Roscommon, Ireland.

In less than five minutes Justice Blaisdell said, “By the authority vested in me by the state of New York, I pronounce you husband and wife.  You may kiss the bride.”  They kissed, tenderly, sweetly, sincerely, lovingly.

Fidelma said to Patrick, “You see – neither of us dropped dead!”

And Patrick winked at me and said loud enough for Justice Blaisdell and Clerk Beckwith to hear, “I still might - come the honeymoon!”  We all laughed a deep, true, hearty laugh.  Fi blushed a rosy red that brought out the Irish in her.  Fidelma and Patrick went with Justice Blaisdell to his chambers and emerged a few minutes later.

“Good luck to you both,” said Justice Blaisdell.  “You are fine citizens of Albany County and I wish you success in your endeavors.  All our residents stand to benefit if you achieve your aims.”

We walked a few short blocks down Fourth Street to the banks of the Hudson and had a congratulatory cigarette.  Even me!  (The Marlboro – I couldn’t manage a drag on the Lucky.)

We returned to Selkirk, to the kitchen table.  The air was as thick with smoke as ever.  I was preparing to ask the follow-up questions when Fidelma handed me an envelope.  “For you.  Open it.  Justice Blaisdell just notarized it.  It was our first act as newlyweds.”

Letter of Authorization
This letter authorizes the immediate transfer of 5,000 shares of Altria stock from the account of Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Crushan of Selkirk, NY to the account of the bearer upon the initiation of a search for an adoptable child from County Roscommon, Ireland who agrees to be interviewed in person in Selkirk, NY.  

An additional 5,000 shares shall be transferred in the same manner should an adoption occur before the second-to-die of Patrick and Fidelma Cruchan. 

In the event the adopted child assists in the establishment of a Roman Catholic Church devoted to St. Patrick on or near the site of the Clebach Well on the Crushan property, an additional 5,000 shares shall be transferred as specified above. 

Lastly, in the event that the bearer of this letter chooses to be married within the sight of the Clebach Well on the Crushan property, regardless of the nature or religion of the ceremony and whether Mr. or Mrs. Clebach are living or dead, 5,000 shares of Altria stock shall be transferred in the same manner as specified above.

These 20,000 shares and instructions have been escrowed at the law offices of Ralph Wolfe, Esq. in the village of Coeyman’s Landing, NY.   All dividends are accruing in stock and shall add to the transfers at each named event.

This authorization shall not expire and Mr. Wolfe or his successor shall carry out the terms as herein specified.  The benefit of any doubt regarding compliance with the terms herein specified shall be given to the bearer.

Signed,
Mr. Patrick Crushan, Selkirk, NY
Mrs. Fidelma Crushan, nee Clebach, Selkirk, NY
March 30, 2010

Thus, I have re-scheduled or re-assigned to colleagues my caseload for the period beginning April 5 through April 28.  At my own expense, I have purchased a one-way, open return ticket to Dublin, Ireland and arranged for transfer to County Roscommon.

I have made appointments with local historians, elders, politicians, social workers, school teachers and parish priests who may help determine the family genealogy of Fidelma Clebach, and the potential candidacy of adoptable children who may meet the criteria of Mr. and Mrs. Crushan.  Several orphanages and social service agencies have been made aware of the desired characteristics. 

I will be staying in Strokestown.  I have arranged to view the collection of the Billy Chapman films, which were made during the period 1948-1952.  It is said that among the 31 episodes, which capture sporting events, religious processions, civic ceremonies and fairs (among other routine occurrences) is an interview with a female resident, now in her mid-80s, by the name of Elma Clayberth, who recalls having a infant sister who, one day, vanished.  No one has ever corroborated her recollection of a sibling and no birth record of a sister can be found.

End of Form 5 of 5 Forms.


*An Irishman’s Dream by John J. O’Brien (1916- )

No comments:

Post a Comment