Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Interview on Ash Road, Selkirk, NY - Form 1 of 5 Forms. (A not-so-short story in five chapters.)

copyright 2015, by Steven Marshall Cohen


Interview on Ash Road, Selkirk, NY
Form 1 of 5 Forms

Due to the nature of my assignment, at 2:00 pm on March 18, I knocked on the front door of 30 Ash Road, Selkirk, NY, about one mile west of the Hudson River. There was no immediate answer to my knock, but I observed candlelight inside and a current registration car in the driveway.

I heard scuffling of furniture on a hardwood floor.  My second knock was answered by Mr. Patrick Crushan.  When the door opened a crack for the resident to peek at me, cigarette smoke, its unmistakable odor and bluish tint, wafted out.  A lit cigarette was in Mr. Crushan’s hand, burning end pointing toward his palm as he held it between thumb and forefinger.

When he opened the door a bit wider, over his shoulder I could see Ms. Fidelma Clebach, who too was smoking a cigarette, or two – I noted one burning in the ashtray on the kitchen table and another in her right hand.  Both were Marlboro, given the open pack in front of her.  I noted a pack of Lucky Strike propped against a full ashtray, and a glance at Mr. Crushan’s hand confirmed filter-less Lucky Strike was his choice.

My preparatory research told me Mr. Crushan was seventy-eight and his unmarried partner, seventy-six.  Both were born in this country.  Neither had an arrest record; both were current on all taxes.  Neither had attended high school or college.  He was nearly bald; her hair, thinning, could have been red at one time, but now was dull, mixed grey and yellow.  She wore a peasant dress,  faded green.

When I explained my assignment, Mr. Cruchan opened the door only wide enough for me to step in.  He offered a Lucky from the pack in his pocket.  I declined.  “Smoke your own, if you like.”  I introduced myself to Ms. Clebach.    She said “Pleased”.

The room contained a small dining table in the kitchen, about six feet from the sink and stove.  Patrick motioned for me to sit at one of the empty chairs at the table.  Not being a smoker, the dense atmosphere began to irritate my eyes, nose and throat.  No door was open to another room, no air conditioner or fan circulated the air, no ventilation of any kind was apparent. 

“A bit smoky in here." I said.

“As we like it,” Fidelma said.

“Well then, I am here, as you know, to ask a few questions.  It shouldn’t take long.  If you are ready, let’s begin.”

Before I could read aloud the required disclaimer statement, Fidelma started coughing with a vehemence that rattled her entire skeleton.  She had no extra weight to cushion her.  The coughing forced her to vibrate on her hard-back kitchen chair.  I thought she would choke on the combination of tissue, phlegm and fluid she was bringing out of her lungs.  After two minutes of constant coughing, she spat into a utility bucket that was between her knees under the table.  She held the Marlboro throughout - the lit tip was threatened her fingers.  When the coughing and spitting of the black effluent into the bucket subsided, she took a long, deep drag.

Patrick did nothing to comfort her.  He smoked his Lucky. 

“Go ah-ead” said Patrick.

The “h” sound in “ahead” was a struggle for Patrick’s lungs to produce.  His throat didn’t want to articulate it.  Speaking those three syllables was the first instance that Patrick did not have a Lucky between his lips since he twisted the doorknob.

“Sir, I’ve got to check boxes on this questionnaire form.  It’s a bit dark in here.  Do you mind if we turn on a lamp or open a window for some light?”

“Yes, I do mind.  We don’t like bright lights.  But here” -   he reached for a utility candle that was on the counter near the stove.  The bottom end was melted to stand it upright in a souvenir ashtray (“Montauk – The Point”).  The wick burned enough to illuminate about one third of the page on my clipboard.  The effort of half-standing, twisting for the reach and leaning across the table to place the ashtray in front of me exhausted Patrick.  His body landed back in the chair with a thud.  He dragged and flicked the ash.  In the momentary still of the room, I heard the sound of his thumb nail against the cigarette paper.  Fidelma began her violent coughing once again.        

“Never use a lighter” he said to me.

“Never!” Fidelma agreed.  She chuckled.  “Especially butane.  Could kill you.”

“OK then, thanks,  that’s better.  Now –“

Patrick began a coughing spasm as severe as a seizure.  He too had a steel bucket in the same position.  The color of its contents: black, dark red, needless to say bloody, with bits of tissue (most probably lung tissue, though I did not inspect it to be certain) floating at the top.   Small clumps of bubbles swirled in a vortex.  The odor wafting from the receptacle?  I had no frame of reference - perhaps the closest comparison was of hot, fresh driveway seal coat. 

Could either respondent inhale deeply enough to answer the questions their application would require?

Patrick said, “Son, you can see we are smokin’ ourselves to death as fast as we can.  We got no children of ourselves and we are both only children.  I got no living parent or grandparent, and Fi knows not of her parents, ‘ceptn’ they’re from County Roscommon, Ireland.”  He paused to recover from this exertion.

“No kin of any kind at all.  I jus’ got Pat, and he jus’ got me.  Besides that, we got Philip Morris and this house.” 

“I see.” I glanced toward the open packs.

“Besides the cigarettes, son. Stock.  Shares. ‘Slong as we been smokin’, we been buying stock.  Nothing else to do with the social security checks.  Deposit ‘em right to an account and buy more shares.”

The coughing and phlegm expectorating interrupted for a few minutes.

“We buy shares with the dividends, we buy shares with our tax refunds, we buy shares with any cash comes along.  Been doing it for more than 20 years.  Don’t think we’ve ever sold a single share.”

“Only thing he done wrong is those damned Lucky Strikes” Fidelma said between chest heaves.  “Lucky ain’t PM.”

“Started Lucky’s during the war.  Patriotic the way they changed the package to support the troops.  Bless ‘em.  Smoked ‘em since 1942 – that’s more than 65 years of being a Lucky man.  No way I’m changin’ now…”

“Guess not” was what I managed to answer.

“Don’t matter much really,” Fidelma said, “It’s the shares that matter.  We got no one to give ‘em to.  There’s got to be over 100,000 shares now – right Pat?”

“That’s right…last time I checked it was 132,896 shares…price was right near $20…’bout the cost of 3 packs down at 7 – 11.  Altria stock – owns Philip Morris.” 

“If my math is correct, that’s over $2.6 million dollars, with no heir – is that the situation?”

“Closer to $6 million, when you add in the house and land…the house is for shit – no energy to keep it up, but there’s more’n 300 acres come with it.  Goes right down to the waterfront.  Been offered $3 million for the land over and over.  Jus’ got no need to sell.”

“The Hudson River waterfront?” I asked.

He nodded and it caused him a gentle cough.  “There’s a marina at the water end of the property.  Suppose I could ask for rent, but I never have…”

Pat was wearing Dickies overalls.  He pulled a bandana from the back pocket and wiped his face, forehead, forearms and throat.  “Too much talkin’…I’m breakin’ a sweat here.” 

“Would a been more, too – if you hadn’t made that donation to PM a few years back.  Not that it matters….”

“She’s talkin’ about counterfeiters.  PM sued some Indian tribe in New York for sellin’ counterfeit Marlboros.  Well, we bought some cartons there on a trip to the ocean.  Fi knew in one drag t’wasn’t the real thing.  When PM sued them Indians, I thought we should support the effort.  Is there anything lower than a man who could counterfeit a cigarette?  Those Indians pay no taxes either!”  He spat into his bucket.  The act of spitting brought on another convulsion.  Fi too had taken several shallow breaths without a paroxysm, and now the span ended.

(I am trained to be objective, to assume nothing and to offer no opinions about what I hear, no matter how provocative.  I invoked this training to prevent myself from saying, “You’re here dying of lung cancer, emphysema and god-knows-what-else -- and your wife is too -- and you donated money to the cigarette company that’s made it possible?  That has got to be the stupidest use of money I have ever heard!  Why don’t you just burn your cash” – when I realized in fact, they were burning their cash, and making more each time they started a tobacco fire.)

I waited again for them to manage a cycle of inhale-exhale.  I used the time to absorb the gravity of the situation.  I made some notes on my legal pad.  My own breathing was being impacted. I felt my throat becoming dry and itchy.  My eyes were watering, and I was squinting to see my QF-905 in the shallow glow of the candle. 

Fi: “Well, young man, you’ve been here a while now and ain’t asked nothing.”

“Actually, ma’am, you’ve answered a few questions already – finances, property ownership, family history, motivation for the application.  It’s a very unusual application.”

“The more we smoke, they more we make. We know we’re dying from it.  That’s what we plan to do.  Silly to spend it in a hospital on doctors who gonna tell us to quit.  That’s why you’re here.  It’s the only solution we came up with.  You approve us, and then it happens, right?”

“I don’t approve personally.  I conduct this interview, complete the questionnaire, record my observations, and turn it all in with a recommendation.   A committee decides.”

“Well, son, as you can tell we ain’t got much time to make this happen.  Any breath could be my last.  We got an agreement between us – don’t we darlin’? – one of these heavin’ spells does one of us in, the other does nothing, ‘cept see to the funeral – arrangements all in place already.  Gonna be buried here on the property, out near the well.  Got a nice view from there.”  This exertion caused redness throughout his forehead, face and neck.  His chest heaved. 

I did not want to be on site for the last breath of Patrick Crushan or Fidelma Clebach.   Each lit up a new one, the previous still smoldering in the filled ash tray.


“I’m feeling a bit light-headed, from the smoke, I think.  Would you mind if I step outside for some fresh air?”  I did so - heard hacking behind me as I quickly closed the door.

----------------------
Please visit this blogspot tomorrow for Form 2 of 5 Forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment